How to Get Free Money from the Government to Repair Your House By eHow Contributor
Learning how to get free money from the government to repair your house isn't easy, but it can be done. If you need expensive home repairs that aren't in your budget, the process is well worth your time. The money you receive from the government is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
1. Are you a senior from a rural community? If you are a homeowner over the age of 62 who lives in a rural area and meets specified income requirements, the USDA Rural Development has Section 504 grants that can provide assistance with home repairs. This source of free money from the government to repair your house must be used to remove health or safety hazards. For example, USDA grants for home repair could be used to install or repair sanitary disposal systems to ensure they meet health department requirements. For the purpose of this program, a rural area is defined as a town with a population of no more than 10, 000 people.
2. Do you have a low income? People with low to moderate incomes can work with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and state and local government officials to find grants for free home repairs. The Community Development Block Grant Program and HOME Program are two examples of these types of programs.
3. Are the needed repairs the result of a tornado, flood, or other natural disaster? The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides grants for home repairs as well as assistance to build new homes for people who live in counties that have been declared official disaster areas.
4. Are you a military veteran? If you are a disabled as the result of your military service, the Department of Veterans Affairs can provide assistance to help you remodel your home to make it handicapped accessible. Assistance is available even if the disabled veteran is not the listed homeowner, although he/she must continue to live in the home after the repairs are completed. This source of free money from the government to repair your house is part of the Special Housing Adaptations and Specially Adapted Housing programs.
This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.
- 2009 Uncle Sam's Money Machine - Federal Grants, Government Assistance for People and Small Business
Original article published on eHow.com
Next page: Free Government Money
Bookmark/Share This Page:
Government Money News
Black money: Govt appoints outgoing CBDT boss as SIT Advisor
Senior IRS officer and outgoing CBDT Chairman K V Chowdary was today appointed by the Government as an Advisor to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) that is probing black money cases. An expert on tax issues and financial investigations, Chowdary will ...Read more...
10 Big Ways the Government May Be Wasting Taxpayer Money
Free high-end gym memberships for diplomats, a study that watched grass grow, and Swedish massages for rabbits but some of the ways the government wastes taxpayer money, according to a new report by Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.). In his annual report, Dr ...Read more...
Five ways you’re missing out on free money
Setting up a Registered Education Savings Plan for your child and then not taking advantage of the government grants. According to an RBC survey, two-thirds of parents have already set up RESPs for their children but they are not making the maximum ...Read more...
Sena advises new BJP govt to not take people for granted
"The new Government is like a newly-wed woman who initially pleases ... (it was also attended by corporate bigwigs), the Sena said the poor, and not the rich or money bags, should get the attention of the administration as was the case during Shivaji's ...Read more...
Modi government can't bring even a rabbit into country: Sharad Yadav on black money
Patna: Unmoved with the Central government's initiative on black money, Janata Dal United President Sharad Yadav said the dream Narendra Modi government weaving before the nation on bringing back illegal money stashed in foreign banks would never be fulfilled.Read more...
LIVE Black money: Govt submits 627 names to SC, list may not be made public
10:51 am: Even as the government has submitted a list of 627 black money account holders, the names in the list are entries till 2006 only. The Supreme Court has said that the Special Investigation Team will continue to probe foreign bank account holders ...Read more...
Black money: Government submits list of account holders to Supreme Court in a sealed envelope
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court got 627 names in a sealed envelope from the government on Wednesday, having insisted on being given the list the previous day. It then handed this list of account holders in HSBC, Geneva, to the special investigation team (SIT ...Read more...