How to Get Free Money from the Government to Repair Your House By eHow Contributor
Learning how to get free money from the government to repair your house isn't easy, but it can be done. If you need expensive home repairs that aren't in your budget, the process is well worth your time. The money you receive from the government is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
1. Are you a senior from a rural community? If you are a homeowner over the age of 62 who lives in a rural area and meets specified income requirements, the USDA Rural Development has Section 504 grants that can provide assistance with home repairs. This source of free money from the government to repair your house must be used to remove health or safety hazards. For example, USDA grants for home repair could be used to install or repair sanitary disposal systems to ensure they meet health department requirements. For the purpose of this program, a rural area is defined as a town with a population of no more than 10, 000 people.
2. Do you have a low income? People with low to moderate incomes can work with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and state and local government officials to find grants for free home repairs. The Community Development Block Grant Program and HOME Program are two examples of these types of programs.
3. Are the needed repairs the result of a tornado, flood, or other natural disaster? The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides grants for home repairs as well as assistance to build new homes for people who live in counties that have been declared official disaster areas.
4. Are you a military veteran? If you are a disabled as the result of your military service, the Department of Veterans Affairs can provide assistance to help you remodel your home to make it handicapped accessible. Assistance is available even if the disabled veteran is not the listed homeowner, although he/she must continue to live in the home after the repairs are completed. This source of free money from the government to repair your house is part of the Special Housing Adaptations and Specially Adapted Housing programs.
This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.
- 2009 Uncle Sam's Money Machine - Federal Grants, Government Assistance for People and Small Business
Original article published on eHow.com
Next page: Free Government Money
Bookmark/Share This Page:
Government Money News
Bond yields slide further as cheap money reigns
Central banks' battle to keep cash flowing into the financial system has driven other core European government bond yields into or close to negative territory. That has pushed investors into higher-yielding equities, which remained near all-time highs on ...Read more...
Herzog Slams Government Money to 'Settlements'
Labor leaders Yitzhak Herzog and Tzipi Livni convened a press conference Thursday, wherein they blamed Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for the housing crisis following a damning report from the State Comptroller published Wednesday night. "The prime ...Read more...
Taken every possible step to deal with black money: Govt
NEW DELHI: As part of ongoing efforts to deal with black money, the government today said it has taken every possible measure to effectively deal with the issue. "The government has taken every possible measure to effectively deal with the issue of black ...Read more...
Advisers Prepare for Changes to Money-Market Funds
The Boston money manager will convert three of its prime funds--which now invest in corporate debt--to government funds that invest in cash, government securities or repurchase agreements collateralized by government securities. Those changes may result in ...Read more...
Black money probe: Activists, experts fault govt for tardy progress
NEW DELHI: Experts and activists have expressed frustration over the slow progress being registered by the Narendra Modi government in bringing black money back to India. BJP leader Subramanian Swamy said he was still optimistic that the Modi government ...Read more...
Net neutrality: FCC grants government more power to regulate internet
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — The FCC has passed a historic measure to more strictly regulate the Internet. The new rules, known as “net neutrality,” act to provide equal opportunity for Internet speeds and access to websites.The central question was whether ...Read more...
Black money is cancer; govt committed to bring it back: Swamy
Terming black money as cancer for society, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy today said the NDA government was committed to bring back to the country the illegally stashed money abroad. "The pace (to bring back black money) is slow. In my opinion, I am not ...Read more...