How to Get Free Money from the Government to Repair Your House By eHow Contributor
Learning how to get free money from the government to repair your house isn't easy, but it can be done. If you need expensive home repairs that aren't in your budget, the process is well worth your time. The money you receive from the government is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
1. Are you a senior from a rural community? If you are a homeowner over the age of 62 who lives in a rural area and meets specified income requirements, the USDA Rural Development has Section 504 grants that can provide assistance with home repairs. This source of free money from the government to repair your house must be used to remove health or safety hazards. For example, USDA grants for home repair could be used to install or repair sanitary disposal systems to ensure they meet health department requirements. For the purpose of this program, a rural area is defined as a town with a population of no more than 10, 000 people.
2. Do you have a low income? People with low to moderate incomes can work with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and state and local government officials to find grants for free home repairs. The Community Development Block Grant Program and HOME Program are two examples of these types of programs.
3. Are the needed repairs the result of a tornado, flood, or other natural disaster? The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides grants for home repairs as well as assistance to build new homes for people who live in counties that have been declared official disaster areas.
4. Are you a military veteran? If you are a disabled as the result of your military service, the Department of Veterans Affairs can provide assistance to help you remodel your home to make it handicapped accessible. Assistance is available even if the disabled veteran is not the listed homeowner, although he/she must continue to live in the home after the repairs are completed. This source of free money from the government to repair your house is part of the Special Housing Adaptations and Specially Adapted Housing programs.
This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.
- 2009 Uncle Sam's Money Machine - Federal Grants, Government Assistance for People and Small Business
Original article published on eHow.com
Next page: Free Government Money
Bookmark/Share This Page:
Government Money News
Cash strapped Assam Congress Govt, sanctions jamboree to celebrate 14 years in power
Opposition parties have termed the anniversary bash as a waste of public money at a time when the state is facing a financial crunch. BJP slammed the Congress government and said that instead of taking austerity measures, the government is taking off with ...Read more...
Despite what Obama says, the government never 'asks' for money, it just takes: Thomas Sowell
In a recent panel discussion on poverty at Georgetown University, President Barack Obama gave another demonstration of his mastery of rhetoric -- and disregard of reality. One of the ways of fighting poverty, he proposed, was to "ask from society's lottery ...Read more...
B.C. may consider government-backed line of credit for cash-poor seniors
That's when the government could recoup its money — along with a basic low-interest charge. "It will extend the period of time that their housing is affordable to them," said Mackenzie. At issue is that 50 per cent of B.C. seniors live on $24,000 per ...Read more...
Federal government tells UF Health that Florida LIP funding will decrease nearly 75 percent
The LIP program provides money to hospitals and health clinics that treat the uninsured. The federal government has told Florida the program, set to expire at the end of June, needs to be significantly altered to create more transparency and accountability ...Read more...
Maharashtra govt asks milk cooperative societies to cut rates
Farmers handling milk churns Getty Images The Maharashtra government has asked milk cooperative societies and distributors to slash milk prices by Rs 2 to Rs 5, dairy development minister Eknath Khadse said today. "I have directed the milk co-operative ...Read more...
Government plans cells for black money declarations under compliance window
NEW DELHI: Expecting a flurry of declarations under the compliance window provided by the new black money law, the income-tax department is likely to set up two centres, in Delhi and Mumbai, to process claims from those with dodgy overseas wealth to declare.Read more...
Govt clears Rs 3,090 cr continuation prog to launch 15 PSLV
Seeking to clinch possible international contracts for launch of satellites, an approval was granted by the government today for continuation of the workhorse Polar Satellite Vehicle programme for another 15 flights in a four-year period. The PSLV ...Read more...