How to Get Free Money from the Government to Repair Your House By eHow Contributor
Learning how to get free money from the government to repair your house isn't easy, but it can be done. If you need expensive home repairs that aren't in your budget, the process is well worth your time. The money you receive from the government is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.
1. Are you a senior from a rural community? If you are a homeowner over the age of 62 who lives in a rural area and meets specified income requirements, the USDA Rural Development has Section 504 grants that can provide assistance with home repairs. This source of free money from the government to repair your house must be used to remove health or safety hazards. For example, USDA grants for home repair could be used to install or repair sanitary disposal systems to ensure they meet health department requirements. For the purpose of this program, a rural area is defined as a town with a population of no more than 10, 000 people.
2. Do you have a low income? People with low to moderate incomes can work with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and state and local government officials to find grants for free home repairs. The Community Development Block Grant Program and HOME Program are two examples of these types of programs.
3. Are the needed repairs the result of a tornado, flood, or other natural disaster? The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides grants for home repairs as well as assistance to build new homes for people who live in counties that have been declared official disaster areas.
4. Are you a military veteran? If you are a disabled as the result of your military service, the Department of Veterans Affairs can provide assistance to help you remodel your home to make it handicapped accessible. Assistance is available even if the disabled veteran is not the listed homeowner, although he/she must continue to live in the home after the repairs are completed. This source of free money from the government to repair your house is part of the Special Housing Adaptations and Specially Adapted Housing programs.
This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.
- 2009 Uncle Sam's Money Machine - Federal Grants, Government Assistance for People and Small Business
Original article published on eHow.com
Next page: Free Government Money
Bookmark/Share This Page:
Government Money News
Diwali Dhamaka for Congress! Now Modi Govt says some names will be revealed on black money
Days after the Centre had declared that names on black money case will not be revealed and thus invited ire of Opposition, the Narendra Modi Government has announced the opposite. Reports say that new dispensation will disclose some of the names who ...Read more...
Govt approach on black money not adventurist, says Jaitley
NEW DELHI: Rejecting the charge that NDA has done a U-turn on disclosure of names of black money holders, finance minister Arun Jaitley on Saturday said the government will not be pushed into an act of adventurism and jeopardise the chances of getting ...Read more...
Assembly approves draft Local Government Order
Environment Minister Mark H Durkan introduced the draft Local Government Order. The order will require councils to include a stipulation in any indemnity/insurance, requiring councillors to repay money in cases where councillors are found to be in breach ...Read more...
Govt likely to move GST Bill in Winter Session
The government is likely to move the much-awaited Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill in the Winter Session of Parliament, sources told CNBC-TV18, adding that the Finance Minister Arun Jaitely will meet states soon in this regard. According to sources ...Read more...
Black money: Will reveal some names, says PM Modi
In its manifesto for the Lok Sabha elections earlier this year, the BJP had promised to bring back the money from foreign banks. Last week, however, the government told the Supreme Court that bilateral double taxation avoidance treaties stopped it from ...Read more...
Govt to merge NSEL with Financial Technologies
The government has decided to merge National Spot Exchange Ltd, which is embroiled in a Rs 5,600-crore (Rs 56-billion) payment crisis, with its holding group Financial Technologies. The crisis-hit NSEL is promoted by Jignesh Shah-led Financial Technologies ...Read more...
Show me the money : RBI is targeting inflation at the cost of growth
Government has belatedly realised that interest rates determine not only money supply but also economic growth. So it is setting up a joint finance ministry and RBI panel to decide what these should be. But even this is not a sufficient safeguard.Read more...